- Increased the customer base by 83 new customers
- Reduced lead-time by 40%
- Improved on-time delivery (OTD) by 80%
- Increased First Pass yield from 97% to 99%
- Implemented an ISO 9001 based quality management system
AudioSears Corporation of Stamford employs about 90 people and manufactures high quality telecommunications equipment. For more than 50 years, the family-owned company has gained recognition as a leading domestic manufacturer of custom and standard handsets, headsets, and component parts for most telecommunications applications.
AudioSears faced increased competition and lost several key customers because it lacked focus to meet the challenge. Manufacturing performance was lagging and business practices were outdated. Production processes were not standardized nor documented.
AudioSears and AM&T developed a strategic plan to improve marketing & sales, quality system, and production, including Lean methods and an ISO 9001 compliant quality management system.AM&T and AudioSears identified three primary areas of focus:
- Marketing — Marketing to new customers was infrequent and marketing processes were poorly defined. AM&T helped AudioSears create a business development plan, define marketing and sales processes, train sales personnel, create marketing materials, and explore different approaches.
- Machining and Assembly — Manufacturing was organized for batch production. AM&T helped AudioSears apply Lean methods to improve organization, reduce set-up times, eliminate bottlenecks, and shorten the material flow.
- Quality Systems — The quality system at AudioSears depended on multiple inspections during manufacturing; documentation was outdated. AM&T assisted AudioSears in adopting an ISO 9001 quality system and getting started with the ISO certification process.